Another cheesecake recipe to tickle the tastebuds? For those that usually can’t partake in this particular delight due to the dairy content, here is a recipe for you to enjoy. Plus it uses one of our suppliers, Mortimers, delicious chocolate in it too. You can find out more about Mortimers here:
Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake
For the Base
- 200g Gluten and Dairy Free Digestive biscuits (crushed either in food processor or in a large bowl using the end of a rolling pin, until they resemble fine crumbs)
- 2tbsp fine dark cocoa powder
- 50g vegan butter (melted) – Stork
For the Filling
For the Strawberry Cream
- 6-8 frozen Strawberries
- 12g (1tbsp) caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 225ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 6 sheets of gelatine or 2 Vege-gel sachets
- 400g vegan cream cheese
- 150g caster sugar
- 15g vanilla essence
- 250ml Vegan cream – or thick coconut cream
- 150g Gluten free & dairy free shortbread biscuits (Crushed by rolling pin for chunky bits) Optional
- 6-8 frozen strawberries
- 1 dessert spoon caster sugar
- 2 sheets gelatine or vege-gel sachet
- 250ml water
For the Decoration
- Large fresh strawberries
- Dairy Free white chocolate buttons / dairy free Mortimers Chocolate
Method for the Base
- Melt the butter and stir in the crushed digestive biscuits and cocoa powder.
- Place mix into a loose bottom dish (8″) or a flan dish and chill for approximately 20mins.
Method for the Strawberry cream
- Place the gelatine sheets in a cup of cold water – soak for approximately 15 minutes.
- Place the strawberries, coconut milk, vanilla essence, sugar and water in a pan and heat gently. When soft puree with a hand blender.
- Add the gelatine sheets to the liquid, continue to stir until the gelatine is dissolved. Allow to cool whilst preparing the filling.
Method for the Filling
- Place the cream cheese in the bowl of a freestanding mixer, add sugar and vanilla essence and beat together until smooth. Add vegan cream and then add the strawberry cream mix gradually. Fold in the crushed shortbread biscuits (if using).
- Pour the filling over the biscuit base and place in the freezer until frozen – at least 4 hours but ideally overnight.
- An hour before you are ready to serve remove the cheesecake from the freezer ready to decorate and add the strawberry topping.
Method for the Jelly topping
- Take 1 large strawberry and cut in half. Cut thinly but part way to the stem and fan out the strawberry halves and place opposite each other in the centre. Slice the rest of the fresh strawberries very thinly and place around the dish.
- Place 2 sheets of gelatine in a cup of cold water. Place frozen strawberries in a pan with sugar and water. Heat gently until the fruit is soft, hand blend until pureed. Sieve the pulp mix to create a clear liquid – place back on a low heat and add the gelatine stirring until fully dissolved.
- Take off the heat and cool slightly before pouring over the cheesecake ensuring full coverage.
- Place in freezer until set.
- Melt the white chocolate and using a piping bag drizzle the melted chocolate over the cheesecake in swirls or any pattern you desire.
- If using a loose bottom flan tin remove from tin an hour before serving.
This cheesecake is best stored in the freezer prior to decorating with the white chocolate. After decorating please keep in the fridge.
Allergens in this dish indicated by the Box (es) Marked ‘x’
** – The biscuits used in this recipe contain Gluten Free Oat Flour