Ali White from Allergy Mums has provided this recipe. For more delicious recipes check out their website or you can follow them here:
Dairy Free Fried Chicken
Fried chicken is the perfect picnic food, crisp, delicious and perfect to eat with your fingers. If you like – pop it in a bun for a great chicken burger!
- 8 Boned and skinned chicken thighs
- 1 cup of dairy free milk
- 1 vegan egg (1 tbsp ground flax with 2 tbsp water or one commercial vegan egg replacement)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp ground black pepper
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 & 1/4 cup plain flour (use GF version if required) *
- 3/4 cup of corn flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Sunflower oil (approx 500ml)
- Mix the dairy free milk, cider vinegar, salt and vegan egg together.
- Mix the paprika, pepper, garlic and cayenne pepper together. Take half the spice mix and add to the milk mixture.
- Put the milk into a lidded container and add the chicken. Marinate overnight or for a minimum of four hours.
- When you are ready to cook the chicken, mix the flour, corn flour, baking powder and remainder of the spice mix on a large plate. Dip each piece of chicken into the flour, covering completely. Return the chicken to the left over marinade and then re-dip in the flour mix.
- Heat the 500ml of oil in a wok until it reaches about 170c. Preheat oven to 160c/325F/ gas mark 3.
- Gently lower 2/3 thighs into the wok. The oil will splatter. Fry for 4 minutes and then gently turn over and fry for another 5 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to check that they are cooked -74c for thighs or 66c for breasts.
- Pop each piece of chicken in the oven to keep warm whilst you cook the rest.
Allergens in this dish indicated by the Box (es) Marked ‘x’
(*) – If you choose to use a GF flour the dish will not contain gluten.