What better dessert to have than a cheesecake? For those that usually can’t partake in this particular delight due to the dairy content, here is a recipe for you to enjoy. Plus it uses one of our suppliers, Mortimers, delicious chocolate in it too. You can find out more about Mortimers here:
For the Base
- 200g Gluten and Dairy Free Digestive biscuits (crushed either in food processor or in a large bowl using the end of a rolling pin, until they resemble fine crumbs)
- 2tbsp fine dark cocoa powder
- 50g vegan butter (melted) – Stork
For the Filling
- 400g vegan cream cheese
- 150g caster sugar
- 15g vanilla essence
- 250ml Vegan cream – 70ml of this to be kept back for the Ganache
- 150g Gluten free & dairy free ‘Oreo’ biscuits** (Crushed by rolling pin for chunky bits) Keep spares for decoration – **These Contain GF Oat flour
- 3/4tsp strong coffee powder (Espresso)
- 10g coffee essence
- 3/4tsp dark cocoa powder
- 45ml Kahlua or Tia Maria
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 225ml unsweetened coconut milk
- 6 Sheets of gelatine or 2x Vege-Gel sachets
Chocolate Ganache & Decorations
- 130g Chocolate
- 100g vegan butter
- 75g icing sugar
- Dairy Free white chocolate buttons / dairy free Mortimers Chocolate
Method for the Base
- Melt the butter and stir in the crushed digestive biscuits and cocoa powder.
- Place mix into a loose bottom dish (8″) or a flan dish and chill for approximately 20mins.
Method for the Mocha cream
- Place the gelatine sheets in a cup of cold water.
- Dissolve the Espresso powder, coffee essence, cocoa powder and sugar in 1tbsp boiling water. Then add the Kahlua/Tia Maria, coconut milk and vanilla essence, combining well. Do not boil but put on heat.
- Add the gelatine sheets to the liquid, continue to stir until the gelatine is dissolved. Allow to cool whilst preparing the filling.
Method for the Filling
- Place the cream cheese in the bowl of a freestanding mixer, add sugar and vanilla essence and beat together until smooth. Whilst mixing, gradually add the mocha cream and 180ml of the vegan cream (keeping back 70ml for the ganache) and mix until smooth. Fold in the ‘Oreo’ type biscuits.
- Pour the filling over the biscuit base and place in the freezer until frozen – at least 4 hours but ideally overnight.
- An hour before you are ready to serve remove the cheesecake from the freezer and remove from tin and placing on your serving plate (unless it’s in a dish, in which case leave in the dish). Now is the time to make the ganache and decorate the cheesecake.
Method for the Ganache
- Place chocolate into small pieces in a heatproof bowl. Put the 70ml of the vegan cream that was reserved into a pan with the vegan butter and warm until just below boiling point. Pour over the chopped chocolate, fold in together then stir in the icing sugar until the chocolate has melted.
- Spread half the mixture over the top of the cheesecake in a thin layer. Let the remaining mixture cool and thicken, slightly, then whip until light and airy with a whisk. This mixture can then be piped onto the cheesecake with star nozzle rosettes in portion size places. Decorate with the remaining ‘Oreo’ biscuits or chocolate chunks.
- Melt the white chocolate and using a piping bag drizzle the melted chocolate over the cheesecake in swirls or however you wish.
This cheesecake is best stored in the freezer prior to decoration. After decorating please keep in the fridge.
Allergens in this dish indicated by the Box (es) Marked ‘x’
** – The biscuits used in this recipe contain Gluten Free Oat Flour