Recipe supplied by Mark Kennett Head Chef – Oscar & Bentleys – Winners of the Free From Eating Out Awards 2015
You can find out more about Mark on here: Gastronomic Rebel
You can visit Oscar & Bentley’s here: Oscar& Bentleys
Moussaka (Gluten & Nightshade Free)
Serves 6 Prep Time – 20 minutes Cooking Time – 45minutes
- 500g Lean Minced Lamb
- 1 Medium onion – finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried Mint
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 100ml Red wine
- 400ml Lamb stock
- 400g Sweet potato – cooked & pureed
- 1 medium Butternut squash (approx. 500g peeled) – cut into 1cm thick rounds
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
White Sauce Ingredients
- 500ml Goats milk
- 4 Tablespoon Cornflour
- 2 Bay leaves
- ½ Teaspoon grated Nutmeg
- 20g Goats Cheese
Method for the Lamb Mix
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the lamb, onion, garlic, oregano, mint, bay leaves and cinnamon in a large non-stick pan or sauté pan and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Keep stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the meat.
- Season with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper, then add the wine, lamb stock and pureed sweet potato.
- Bring everything to a simmer and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook for a further 5 minutes until the lamb is tender and the sauce is thick.
- Remove the bay leaves and cinnamon stick.
- Pre-heat the grill to its hottest setting.
- Arrange the butternut squash slices in a single layer on a large baking tray, brushing them on both sides with oil.
- Place the tray in the oven and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn the slices over and cook them on the other side for 5 minutes until they’re softened and lightly browned. Set the butternut squash aside.
Method for the Sauce
- Just before the mince is ready make the white sauce.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of the milk with the cornflour in a small bowl, until smooth and put to one side.
- Pour the rest of the milk into a medium non-stick sauce pan. Add the bay leaves and ½ of the grated nutmeg.
- Heat gently for 5 minutes until almost a simmer, stirring regularly.
- Remove the bay leaves and whisk in the cornflour mixture, then cook for 3-4 minutes until thickened and smooth, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Spoon a third of the meat sauce into 6 individual ovenproof dishes then add a layer of butternut squash.
- Repeat the layers twice more, finishing with more of the butternut squash.
- Pour over the white sauce, making sure it covers in an even layer, and then sprinkle with the reserved nutmeg and goats’ cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the moussaka is golden brown and bubbling.
Allergens in this dish indicated by the Box (es) Marked ‘x’