Recipe supplied by Mark Kennett Head Chef – Oscar & Bentleys – Winners of the Free From Eating Out Awards 2015
Gluten Free Sticky Toffee Pudding
- 425g Dried Pitted Dates
- 15floz Water
- 3tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 175g Unsalted Butter or Dairy Free alternative
- 500g Caster Sugar
- 6 Large Eggs
- 500g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour ( I use Doves Farm)
- 3 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 Red Bush Tea Bags ( or English Breakfast Tea Bags )
- Pre heat the oven to 160c fan oven.
- Boil dates in water for 10 -15 minutes with the tea bags.
- Remove the tea bags. Blend the dates & liquid.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda to the gluten free flour.
- Cream the butter & sugar until soft.
- Add the eggs & beat well.
- Mix in the date puree & vanilla essence to the butter-sugar-egg mix.
- Pour the wet mix in to the bowl with the flour & bicarbonate of soda. Mix well.
- Pour on to a silicone paper lined tin & cook for 35-45 minutes.
- Serve with toffee sauce & vanilla ice-cream.
- 500ml Double Cream
- 175g Demerara Sugar
- 175g Butter
- 1 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1 tbsp Black Treacle
- Caramelise the sugar.
- Whisk in the syrup and treacle.
- Add the butter and whisk until melted.
- Pour in the cream.
- Bring to the boil then turn down to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Alternative Toffee Sauces
Dairy free Toffee sauce:
- 160g Dark Brown Sugar
- 250ml Gluten Free Soya Cream
- Place the sugar and soya cream into a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has melted.
- Turn up the heat and boil for 3 minutes until thick and shiny.
Soya Free Toffee sauce: – If you can not tolerate soya, try this:
- 150g Dark Brown Sugar
- 300 ml Almond Milk or Dairy Free Milk of your choice
- 1 – 2 tsp Cornflour mixed to a paste with a little water
- 25g Dairy Free Margarine
- Place the sugar and almond milk into a saucepan and stir until it boils.
- Stir in the cornflour until the sauce is the thickness you like.
- Stir in the dairy free margarine.