This recipe is made by one of Food Allergy Aware’s own. It is a family favourite of Lisa’s and one that is perfect for a midweek meal, with the added bonus of only getting the one pan dirty!
- 4 boneless & skinless chicken breasts (I dice them into chunks)
- 3tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g uncooked long grain rice
- 550ml chicken stock *
- 1 lemon
- parsley or coriander for garnish (optional)
- Baby leaf spinach (optional)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic (1-2 cloves depending on size)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley **
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano **
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil **
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the seasoning mix. Divide mix in half and set to one side. Finely slice one half of the lemon. Keep the other half for juicing later.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil and coat. Using 1 half of the seasoning mix, coat the chicken all over.
- In a large frying pan drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and bring the pan to medium heat. Cook chicken for 2-3 minutes on all sides until lightly brown to seal. Remove chicken from the pan – it is not cooked through at this point.
- Add the rice, chicken stock, remaining seasoning mix and the juice of 1/2 lemon to the frying pan, stirring to combine. Return the chicken to the pan, laying it on top of the rice. Cover and cook on a gentle heat for 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender – if necessary add more water until rice is thoroughly cooked through.
- Garnish with the lemon slices, parsley or coriander and serve with freshly washed baby spinach leaves.
* – I use Kallo stock cubes. Check other manufacturers to ensure that they stock cube does not contain gluten or other allergens.
** – You could use fresh herbs if available, quantities may need to be reduced/increased.
Allergens in this dish indicated by the Box (es) Marked ‘x’