This recipe comes from Gluten Free Alchemist for more delicious recipes check out their website or you can follow them here:
No Churn Rhubarb Ice-Cream
- 450g rhubarb – cut into pieces of 1-2cm
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 397g sweetened condensed milk (1 standard tin) – vegan version substitute with 320-380g sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 45ml rhubarb gin – alternative is to use plain white or fruity spirit – this is optional but it helps to keep the ice-cream softer
- 500ml double cream – vegan version substitute with 800ml full-fat coconut milk (cream only) at least 75% coconut solids (2 cans)
- 125g ambrosia custard -optional, omit for vegan version
- red food colouring paste – optional
- Cook the rhubarb ahead of time to allow it to cool completely and refrigerate
- Place the cut rhubarb, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer until the rhubarb softens and breaks down (8-10) minutes.
- When cooked, remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract, stirring through to amalgamate.
- Set aside in a bowl to cool.
- When the rhubarb is cold, remove about a quarter from the bowl and set aside (to be swirled through later).
- Add the condensed milk and alcohol (if using) to the larger portion (3/4) of rhubarb compote and stir through.
- Places in the fridge to chill for 2 hours.
- When ready to make the ice -cream, in a large (preferably chilled) bowl, whip the double cream until it just starts to thicken.
- If including custard, add it at this point and then continue to whip the cream until it holds shape in soft peaks. (If not adding custard, just continue to whip the cream to soft peak stage).
- Set the whisk aside, as it may be needed again later.
- Stir a spoonful of cream into the chilled rhubarb mix to make it a little lighter.
- Then add the rhubarb mix and a tiny drop of red food colouring paste (if using) to the remaining whipped cream and gently fold through.
- If the consistency of the ice cream mix has thinned, re-whisk until thick.
- Take the reserved rhubarb compote and swirl through the ice-cream.
- Transfer the mixture to a freezer-safe container and freeze for 4 hours (or overnight) to harden.
- When ready to serve, remove from the freezer and (if it is too hard to scoop) leave at room temperature for a few minutes to soften naturally.
Allergens in this dish indicated by the Box (es) Marked ‘x’ – For Non Vegan Version