You can find out more about Mark on here: Gastronomic Rebel
Gluten Free & Dairy Free Stollen
- 250ml lukewarm milk (dairy free alternative can be used) *
- 14g dried active baking yeast
- 600g gluten free plain flour
- 5g xantham gum
- 100g caster sugar
- 10 fine sea salt
- pinch ground all spice
- 2 eggs
- 150g butter – room temperature (dairy free spread can be used) *
- 200g raisins
- 80g ground almonds
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp almond extract
- 125g finely chopped mixed peel
- 225 marzipan **
- 25ml gin
- 50g icing sugar – to dust
- 50g butter – melted to glaze (dairy free spread can be used) *
- Put the flour, ground almonds, xantham gum and sugar in a large bowl. Add the yeast on one side of the bowl and salt on the other side. Add the softened butter* and 200ml of the milk* and stir together. Beat the eggs and add the remaining milk and mix well, until smooth and pliable.
- Mis the all spice, gin, vanilla and almond extract, dried fruit and mixed peel together in bowl. Add the dough on top and knead from the outside into the centre. When everything has been fully incorporated, return to the bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise for 1-1 1/2 hours in a warm place, until nearly double the size.
- Flatten the dough and shape on a lightly floured baking tray into a rectangle, brush with the melted butter*. Flatten out the marzipan** to about 5mm and place on top of the dough. Fold the dough up to enclose the marzipan. Cover and leave to rise for 45 mins – 1 hour until double in size.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190oC / gas mark 5 and bake for 1hour. Remove from the oven,. brush with melted butter* and dust with icing sugar. Serve cold with butter* or honey.
(*)- Dairy free alternatives can be used instead
(**) – Check packaging of marzipan to ensure no other allergens present
Allergens in this dish indicated by the Box (es) Marked ‘x’
Dairy (Milk) *