What better way to start using the autumnal fruits than with this delicious gluten free Cranberry Polenta Cake? Perfect for a wet weather baking day!
- 125g (6 ounces) polenta
- 250g (8 ounces) all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 heaped teaspoon of baking powder
- 150g (5 ounces) golden caster sugar
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 150g (5 ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Ingredients for the filling
- 250g (8 ounces) frozen cranberries
- 50g (2 ounces demerera sugar
- 2 teaspoons polenta
- Cream or crème fraîche – to serve *
- Preheat the oven to 180oC/350oF/gas mark 4.
- Butter a 20cm (8inch) loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Place the polenta, flour, baking powder amd caster sugar in a food processor with the orange zest, and process to combine.
- Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Combine the orange juice, egg and oil in a separate jug. Whilst the processor is running slowly pour the juice mixture through the feeder tube into the dry ingredients.
- Once combined stop the processor and press 2/3 of the mixture into the prepared tin.
- In a bowl combine the ingredients for the filling and pile onto the base, leaving a border of about 1cm (1/2 in) around the edge.
- Crumble over the remaining dough and cook in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with cream or crème fraîche.
(*) – This item is optional – for serving purposes only.
Allergens in this dish indicated by the Box (es) Marked ‘x’