Ali White from Allergy Mums has provided this recipe. For more delicious recipes check out their website or you can follow them here:
Chicken and Mushroom with Pearl Barley
A warm winter dish–Pearl Barley is making a bit of a come-back and not a moment too soon. This is a lovely dish with dairy free parmesan and cream making it rich and delicious.
Ingredients – Serves 6
- 8 Chicken Thighs
- 175g Pearl Barley
- 100g Wild Mushrooms – Sliced
- 110g Brown Mushrooms – Sliced
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Onion – Chopped
- 1/2cup White Wine
- 250ml Chicken Stock
- 250ml Oately Cream Or any dairy free cream
- 100g Streaky Bacon – about 6 rashers
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3/4 Cup Grated Vegan Parmesan-we like Violife
- 3/4 Cup Peas
- Preheat your oven to 180°C 360°F2.
- Brown the Chicken Thighs in a large frying pan in a little vegetable oil or vegan butter. Once done, place in an ovenproof dish. Pop in the oven for 40 minutes to cook. If you are using bone in breasts reduce to 30 minutes, boneless breasts then it’s down to 20 minutes.
- While you are browning the Chicken, put the Pearl Barley in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a simmer and allow to bubble away for 45 minutes. Check as you go-make sure there is enough water.
- In the same pan as you browned the chicken, fry the bacon, and when starting to get crisp add in the onion and fry until starting to colour, add in the garlic and fry for a few minutes. Add in the brown and wild mushrooms and fry until starting to colour.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping up any brown bits, add in the dairy free cream and chicken stock. Stir and allow to bubble away as the chicken and pearl barley are cooking.
- Five minutes before the pearl barley is cooked, add in the peas to the same pot and warm them through.
- Now that the sauce has reduced a bit, add in the vegan parmesan and stir briefly. Allow the sauce to bubble away for 5 minutes.
- Now drain the pearl barley and peas and stir into the sauce. Keep on a low heat for a few minutes, and finish by adding in the lemon juice.
- Take the chicken out of the oven, pour over the pearl barley sauce and serve with cabbage or kale.
Allergens in this dish indicated by the Box (es) Marked ‘x’