Date of Event
Date(s) - 06/12/2021
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Westminster Food & Nutrition Forum
***Full-scale policy conference taking place online***
This conference will look at priorities for policy and industry practice in the UK in the context of key developments affecting food labelling – including the Tackling Obesity strategy.
We are pleased to be able to include keynote contributions from senior speakers including Jim Cathcart, Policy Director, UKHospitality; Rebecca Sudworth, Director of Policy, Food Standards Agency; and a senior speaker confirmed from Defra.
Delegates will consider what is needed to prepare the hospitality industry for the introduction of calorie labelling as part of the Government’s drive to tackle obesity, as well as the implementation of Natasha’s Law, which came into force in October 2021, and wider issues for food safety.
Further areas for discussion include:
- the role of labelling in food safety and standards
- dovetailing with wider public health, animal welfare, and environmental goals
- the future outlook for food labelling across the supply chain
- priorities for future trade and independent geographical indications schemes
Our forums are known for attracting strong interest from policymakers and stakeholders. Places have been reserved by parliamentary pass-holders from the House of Commons, and officials from CAFRE; DAERA, NI; Defra; Department for International Trade; Department of Health and Social Care; the Food Standards Agency; the Food Standards Agency Wales; Food Standards Scotland; The Scottish Government; and the Welsh Government. Also due to attend are representatives from Aldi Stores; A Nelson & Co; Ashbury Labelling; Burness Paull; Campden BRI; Company Shop; FAI Farms; Farm Animal Welfare Consulting; GLOBALG.A.P; GM Freeze; GS1 UK; HFMA; Hovis; Klinge Chemicals; Kraft Heinz; Lewis Silkin; Morrisons; Moy Park; National Farmers Union; Newcastle University; Nutritics; Pete Martin; Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman; PPA; Red Bull; R Twining & Co; Starbucks UK; Taylor Wessing; Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust; Tesco; Unilever; University of Aberdeen; and Waterford Institute of Technology.
A press pass has been reserved by a representative from FoodNavigator.
Overall, we expect speakers and attendees to be a senior and informed group including Members of both Houses of Parliament, senior government and regulatory officials involved in this area of policy, as well as public health professionals, representatives of the food and drink industry, including manufacturers, retailers, and suppliers, local government officials, representatives of the dietetic and pharmaceutical industries, academics, charities and consumer groups, together with reporters from the national and specialist media.
This is a full-scale conference taking place online***
- full, four-hour programme including comfort breaks – you’ll also get a full recording and transcript to refer back to
- information-rich discussion involving key policymakers and stakeholders
- conference materials provided in advance, including speaker biographies
- speakers presenting via webcam, accompanied by slides if they wish, using the Cisco WebEx professional online conference platform (easy for delegates – we’ll provide full details)
- opportunities for live delegate questions and comments with all speakers
- a recording of the addresses, all slides cleared by speakers, and further materials are made available to all delegates afterwards as a permanent record of the proceedings
- delegates are able to add their own written comments and articles following the conference, to be distributed to all attendees and more widely
- networking too – there will be opportunities for delegates to e-meet and interact – we’ll tell you how!
Full information and guidance on how to take part will be sent to delegates before the conference